Skip to main content

NAGALAND: FIRST IMPRESSIONS





Not too many people have Nagaland in their bucket list. Uncomfortable roads, poor transport system and a lot of corruption are a few factors which contribute to it. Added to it the stories of still active insurgency, Nagaland although an extremely beautiful hill state doesn’t manage to have a lot of tourism going on except for the Hornbill festival in December every year. But, my case is slightly different. Affinity towards the culture of the entire North east, plus a desire to visit not to tourist frequented places made Nagaland a definite must go. So, when I got time and saved some money, I immediately planned a trip to the beautiful hilly state with my girlfriend.

The Nagaland express


















Since, this was my second trip towards the hills of the North east, I was more confident and familiar with the sytem than the previous time. We booked a filght to Guwahati and from there we took a train to Dimapur aptly named : The ”Nagaland Express”. This trip was never meant to be pleasurable as we reaffirmed many times. The “Nagaland Express” was in a pathetic condition, and we had to do some extra efforts to get our compartment cleaned! Anyhow, we reached Dimapur on time at 0530, which to my surprise looked like 0730 becuase of the sunshine. We had to get our Inner Line Permits (ILP) from the DC office in Dimapur and for that we had to stay there until lunch time at least.

Dimapur is the commercial hub and the biggest city of Nagaland and it is in a pathetic condition. The roads are broken, the drains overflow and people are filled in the streets. The entire city looks at least 15 years behind Delhi or Mumbai. We got out ILP from the DC office at midnoon not before paying a bribe for visiting their state! So, with the ILP in hand we were well equipped to visit the capital of Nagaland: Kohima. Kohima has a special place in my heart. Having read about the Naga tribes during my childhood, and a curiosity to see their capital city made me really excited. The heartland of the Angami Nagas, located on top of the hills, Kohima is really a beautiful city. We took a yellow “zonal taxi” from Dimapur to Kohima. The road has been under construction since eternity, and almost the entire route was dusty and broken. With dust flying everywhere, I wondered whether we were in the lush green hills of Nagaland or the deserts of Rajasthan. Anyhow, after 4 hours of chewing dust we reached Kohima in the evening. I felt a sense of accomplishment because I had planned to visit Kohima at least 7 years ago! The hotel was booked online and without any difficulty we managed to get a good night sleep. Before that, we took a stroll at around 1900 but sadly everything was closed, a typical occurence in the north east.

The second day of the trip was reserved for Kohima. We started off in the morning by visiting the Commonwealth war cemetry, setup and maintained by the commonwealth graves commission, an arm of the British govt. It’s a beautiful place built in the memory of the commonwealth soldiers, most of them Indians who died defending the city from the Japanese siege during world war II. From there, we visited the state museum and got a lot of information about Nagaland. We had lunch immediately after that, and despite what people suspect, dog meat was not on the menu at all. Although I’ve heard the Naga people relish dog meat, I observed that it’s not as easily available as chicken, mutton or pork in Kohima at least. Then we went to the Mao market to see how the markets function here. It is a huge, south asian kind of market, more like Jakarta or Bangkok than New Delhi or Mumbai with almost every kind of thing available. From food items to clothes to live animals and weapons everything can be found in the smelly, cramped shops. We ended our day with coffee in a very nice looking cafe situated in the heart of Kohima.

Next day, we had to visit the Mereima village to meet a friend who had invited us to her village. But before that we also visited the Mereima campus of Nagalanad University situated nearby. Neiphre Viluo, an extremely hospitable, beautiful girl met us on the way from Dimapur to Kohima and was very impressed on knowing that we were visiting her state! She was explaining a lot of things on the way and told us about the Angami tribes which inhabit the places in and around Kohima. We went to her village, and she showed us in such a nice and calm way that it made our visit to her place unforgettable. Never during our meeting with her, we felt that we were in a land 2500km away from home. She took us to the oldest house in the village, which was more than 100 years old. Later, we went to her sister’s house where we played with her little son. Finally, she took us to her home and treated us to very nicely made tea. We had a lot of discussion over tea and I felt one of the purposes for which I travel, knowing people from different cultures and look for similarities was fulfilled. We bid her goodbye and left for Wokha.

We had no fixed plans to visit Wokha. It turned out that on leaving Kohima in afternoon, we could reach only as far as Wokha by evening so we were forced to stay for a night in Wokha. It is an ordinary town with not much activity, and we stayed in a govt managed guest house. The place is famous all over Nagaland for organic fruits and on tasting a few fruits bought from there, we could understand why it is. Next morning we left for Mokokchung. We could find 2 seats in a taxi with a little difficulty as the traffic is scarce in that part of the country.

The road from Wokha to Mokokchung was surprisingly good and once we entered Mokokchung district, it got even better. Now the road signs were visible and the vehicle was moving at good speed. This journey was the most enjoyable we undertook in Nagaland. So, I expected Mokokchung to be slightly better than the places we visited, and it proved true to my expectations. On reaching Mokokchung, we immediately went for lunch and there I found a big shopping centre. Nothing like that was visible in Kohima. Mokokchung is a big city and it is the headquarters of the Ao tribe. It is a calm and clean town. Surprisingly, a lot of people from Bihar live and work there. I could communicate with them in my language, a surprise indeed. One boy offered my cookies for free because of that! We stayed at the circuit house (Yes, it it accesible for common people there) and it was confortable indeed. That day we took a walk around the city and it was really pleasurable. We had to leave next evening so I casually inquired for the taxi and I was surprised or rather shocked!

From Mokokchung we had to go to Mariani to take a train to Guwahati. But sadly from Mokokchung only 2 taxis ply on that route and for the next day both were already booked. I cancelled the train in hurry and my worries were multiplied when we came to know that on the following day no taxis will be going because of Sunday! This was totally unheard of. I was shocked, confused and frustrated. The only option for us now was to take a overnight bus to Dimapur (that stinky city) and then carry on to Guwahati. We booked two seats on that bus and it meant we had to tweak the plans a bit.

The next day we visited Longkhum Village. As we were scheduled to take a bus to Dimapur at night, this was our last day in the hills of Nagaland. So we went to Longkhum village. The place is so quiet and clean that it took us by surprise. Nobody was surprised by us visiting there though, and continued with their work. The villages in our side are anything but clean hence this was out of the world for me. We took a walk around the village, went to the top, talked with a local boy and totally absorbed ourselves in this beautiful place. It is said that once you visit Longkhum, you leave your heart there and you have to visit again to take it back!
We returned from Longkhum in the afternoon, went for lunch in that same shopping complex again and for a final time went through the streets of Mokokchung. Then we returned to our rooms and started packing. We had to take a bus to Dimapur in the evening. The bus started at 1730 sharp and we bid goodbye to Mokokchung. The bus trip was confortable, the only thing was that the road to Mariani was so narrow that two vehicles could not pass at the same time. We reached Dimapur in the morning at 0530 again and it was raining hard. We had booked a retiring room at Dimapur and it was really shabby, understandably so. Nothing in Dimapur impressed us. But we had to spend an entire day in that room on top of the railway station. The train to Guwahati: “Rajdhani express” was scheduled for 0230. Finally we boarded the train and comfortably reached Guwahati in the morning on time.
At 0730 we were at Kamakhya, which meant the temple visit could be easily completed on this trip. It was drizzling. I felt like the light drizzle welcomed us to the town. I love the drizzle especially in that part of the country where we can see so much of greenery. Even when I’m here, a drizzle immediately transfers my mind to the banks of mighty Brahamputra in Guwahati. So, welcomed by drizzle we went to the Nilachal hills to visit the Kamakhya temple. It is a highly revered temple and visiting it was definitely a very nice idea to end the trip. My mother wanted me to visit that temple last time as well. So this time I had to go. The visit was completed within an hour and I took a walk around the temple compound. The temple doesn’t have a very glorious past, with stories of human sacrifices so prominent. Although now human sacrifies don’t take place at all, goats and pigeons are sacrificed on a regular basis there to please the mother goddess.

After the temple, we had to rush to the airport as Lakshitha had a flight at 1130. Mine was scheduled for 1630 which meant I had to sit for 5 hours in that airport. At 1930 I landed in Delhi and went to my home immediately as I was tired. The next day I took a bus to Nainital and by evening I was in my room recounting the memories.

The entire week passed so quickly and we were enriched with one more experience of the North eastern states of India. The tagline that the North East is a “paradise unexplored” seems to resonate with me and I wonder if more and more people start visiting that “paradise” will it remain such! The drawbacks of uncontrolled tourism are so evident in Uttarakhand, where I live at the moment and I pray that the hills of the North east don’t go the way this place is going.
Through this trip to Nagaland, I saw a lot of things about the Naga society, which I had read only in books, shed a lot of misconceptions about the Naga people. They are hospitable, kind and nevey shy away from a smile. Although, the Hornibll fesitval is a perfect medium to observe and understand all the tribes of Nagaland at one place , I believe by travelling inside the state, we saw for ourselves how the land was. We were exposed to various communities, talked to a few people, heard their stories and over all felt pretty overwhelmed by the plurarity of the people inhabiting this part my beautiful country.

As a souvenir, I got myself a traditional Ao naga jacket, which is extremely beautiful and keeps me reminding of the wonderful time I spent in Nagaland.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FINDING A PURPOSE....

Whenever you feel like there is no purpose to life,that all you seek is eventually going to be wasted,everything you seek is nothing but an illusion and as you reach the destination of this journey known as life it turns out to be - DEATH. By this I don't mean death is horrible or is something to be avoided,but when you don't see a purpose to life itself,it is all frustration. The more I know about life,the more pointless it seems. As a God denier,I don't have the support of some supreme deity. Although,I confess here that I seem to understand now,why more people follow God than who do not. People like me,either give up and say all this God denying was a delusion and follow some religion for the rest of their lives,and the others,keep on struggling. When you do not have a shadow of religion over your head,life is definitely a struggle. But whether this struggle is worth it or not,is a matter of personal experience.  I am too young to give up a search for truth withou

POWER OF GOODNESS WITHIN

As children,we are a born innocent,carefree and of course we love unconditionally.As we grow up,in the society,we are taught that certain things are right ,while certain things are wrong and we begin shaping up our personalities accordingly.We are taught that certain values within us are agreeable while some are not.Some things we should develop some things we should not.Soon after we begin to see the good and bad of the world.We too realize everything is not that rosy in here,as we used to believe in childhood.The world does seem harsh on us at times and sometimes we feel like we have been hit hard. I want to focus on the personality that we develop all through this.As we grow older the only thing we carry forward are our personalities.I am a firm believer in reincarnation and I think the personalities are carried forward through different lifetimes.But I'll not talk about reincarnations here,let's get limited to this life itself.From childhood to death it is only

EXAMS OVER....WELL ALMOST!!

So finally May is over and a lot of my examinations have concluded too. It means, on one hand I am relaxed and calm while on the other I am excited or should say nervous about my results ahead. This nervousness will subside soon as I won't have to wait longer than a month for the results. I have only one major exam left but I think I have studied what I need to and it is just a matter of time before it passes too. I remember,back in last June I mentioned that my path to future will be decided by the middle of this month,all I can say that it is still undecided. I have appeared for exactly 6 examinations this year,4 of them have been disappointing while the two recent ones raise a glimmer of hope,which is necessary. I have one more chance to get ahead. Only yesterday I appeared for the BHU entrance exams. The question paper did not seem to difficult but once I arrived home I found a few of my mistakes which were silly in nature. It leaves me at a critical point. I can&#